Thursday, July 26, 2012

BABY BEANIE PATTERN--free




BEGINNER CROCHET BABY BEANIE PATTERN

OK here goes my first attempt at publishing a pattern, it's just a simple beanie so there are many patterns like it out there.  It is a beginners dream!!  Perhaps the difference in mine is that I am recommending a much larger hook than would normally be used with this weight of yarn...but maybe that's nothing new.  Anyhow I'm hoping that this will help you beginners get the fever I got when I found a simple pattern that made a great hat...

This yarn is actually a "sock" yarn or "self-striping" yarn that I just LOVE, it comes in the greatest colors, this one is great for girls but it also comes in colors that work for boys and even one that I used for a suprise gender baby and the parents were thrilled by it!  The yarn is made by Adriafil.  It is called Knitcol Trends, this one is color "52".  I buy mine from my local yarn shop A flyin' Skein http://www.aflyinskein.com/.  It is a 50 gm weight BUT in order to make a softer hat I have started using an I hook (5.5mm) instead of the 4.5mm recommended on the yarn's tag.  I tend to crochet tightly and so the hats I made with the smaller hook actually stood up on their own and weren't especially stretchy and so I assume not expecially comfy.  The yarn is 100% Lana Merino but says "superwash" so I'm hoping that means it's washable lol!  Washable is probably a good idea for baby hats right...will look that one up....  The hat is made all in single crochet because these sock yarns look so great in single crochet if you don't know how to knit.
Image from Pylmouth Yarn Company website of Yarn #52
Color Card Image

OK so here we go!!...

50gm yarn, I did this hat with EXACTLY 1 skein so if you do not want a pretty edging or rolled edge one will do it.

Size "I" hook 5.5mm

I crochet in the round until I am finished increasing, then I crochet continuously round and round (LOL sorry please bear with me I am a beginner so I'm not sure what "not in the round" is called but having been a teen in the 80's I like "round and round" :)
This pattern made what I would consider 3-6mo size but we all know how baby heads vary so always consider the head, I've taken to eyeballing the parent's heads to guesstimate what the babies head will look like lol...not very scientific.

Chain 2
Row1:   In 2nd chain from hook 8sc, join to first sc with ss.
Row 2:  Chain 1, 2sc in each stitch around, join to first sc with ss
Row 3:  Chain 1, 2sc in same stitch, 1 sc in next, *2 sc next stitch, 1 sc next stitch*; repeat * to * around, join to first sc with ss.
Row 4:  Chain 1, 2 sc in same stitch 1 sc in next 2, * 2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in next 2 stitches*; repeat * to * around, join to first sc with ss.
Row 5:  Chain 1, 2 sc in same stitch then 1 sc in next 3, *2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in next 3 stitches*; repeat * to * around, join to first sc with ss.
Row 6:  Chain 1, 2 sc in same stitch then 1 sc in next 4, *2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in next 4 stitches*; repeat * to * around, join to first sc with ss.
Row 7:  Chain 1, 2 sc in same stitch then 1 sc in next 5, *2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in next 5 stitches*; repeat * to * around, join to first sc with ss.
Row 8:  Chain 1, 2 sc in same stitch then 1 sc in next 6, *2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in next 6 stitches*; repeat * to * around, join to first sc with ss.
Row 9:  Chain 1, 2 sc in same stitch then 1 sc in next 7, *2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in next 7 stitches*; repeat * to * around, join to first sc with ss.
Row 10:  Chain 1, 2 sc in same stitch then 1 sc in next 8, *2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in next 8 stitches*; repeat * to * around, join to first sc with ss.
Row 11:  Chain 1, 2 sc in same stitch then 1 sc in next 9, *2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in next 9 stitches*; repeat * to * around, join to first sc with ss.
Row 12:  Chain 1, 2 sc in same stitch then 1 sc in next 10, *2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in next 10 stitches*; repeat * to * around, join to first sc with ss.
Row 13:  Chain 1, 2 sc in same stitch then 1 sc in next 11, *2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc in next 11 stitches*; repeat * to * around, join to first sc with ss.

This is where I stopped increasing for this hat BUT if you want a smaller hat stop increasing sooner, if you want a larger hat keep on increasing, this is where you determine the circumference the hat will end up, however it is not accurate to measure it at this point because it will end up a little bigger circumference than the circumference of your last row here.  Increasing more or less will not affect the rest of the hat except in circumference.

Row 14 and on (or last after last increase round):
SC one in each stitch 'round and round' until you reach the height of the hat you need, I place a marker where I do my last join in row 13 so that I have an idea at the bottom of the hat where I should put my last stitch. 
Here is a link to a chart that I have found invaluable because my first hats were "a little short" (right Kimmy): http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html

When I have reached the length I need based on the chart above I just do a ss then finish it off.


*********OR!!!!!*********
HAVE SOME FUN...

For a little fun there are several easy ways to make a fun bottom on this hat:

The easiest one is to make the bottom curl up by doing one row of increases (*SC in each of 5 stitches then 2 sc in one stitch*, repeat * to * around once) Next do a couple of normal rows (1sc in each stitch all around), that one increase row makes the next rows curl up; an excellent little extra somethin' for a boy's hats but also cute on girls.  The bottom two hats below have this subtle curl.

Another simple bottom is to a picot stitch: chain 3 then ss in the 2nd stitch from hook, repeat all the way around. Subtle but feminine.


One more that makes a nice bottom is to chain 3, dc in the 1st chain of the chain 3, then attach into the 3rd sc from the hook. repeat all the way around, very feminine.  The hats below have this edging.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to try your pattern, I think I kind of understand it. I am unfortunately a visual learner. :) I am inspired to crochet something so I am going to make Sonja a hat similar to the one I just made for myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you find there are spots that you could use some visuals let me know and I will add them, Since it's my first attempt at writing a pattern I welcome all requests for improvement!

    ReplyDelete